Monday, August 15, 2011

Home Made Cloth Diapers = Success

Last winter, particularly during a family ski weekend trip (when I was pregnant, so not skiing), I went a little crazy making cloth diapers. I think I made close to 30 total in different sizes. I used a free pattern found online ("Rita's Rump") and made several of my own alterations (including the sizing, so that she could wear them right away, and until older). I used flannel for the diaper, with either a layer of the middle strip a good, thick prefold diaper, or a double layer of terry as a sewn in liner between the layers of flannel. I also used elastic in the legs and across the top of the back to hopefully prevent leaks. I did make them pocket diapers to add extra lining, but I have never used the pocket yet.
I am please to say, that after almost 6 weeks of cloth diaper making, these diapers are a success! No leaks, no blowouts to date! And Lila is capable of some blowouts let me tell you, though havent had any in cloth (only if wearing a disposable). These diapers are very absorbent, and I am really pleased with their performance! I have found a new baby gift for friends wanting to use cloth, because once I got a system down, they are so easy to make! I also made liners (two layers of flannel with a double layer of terry inside) and cloth wipes (double layer of flannel) which have worked great as well. I use the cloth wipes when Lila poops and it is a great way to clean up a majority of the mess with a nice soft wipe, without having to use a zillion wipes. I highly suggest it! Baby washcloths also work (if you are like me and got millions as shower gifts!). The rest of my cloth diaper supply has been rounded out by hand me downs from babies Margaret, Sage and Lily (not Sage the dog, Sage a friend's daughter!), with a couple of upgrades in the velcro areas. I am grateful looking back that I didn't have to spend a lot on the initial purchase of cloth diapers, as Lila's daycare will not use them, so we have to pay for disposables after all. But it will be cloth at home all the way! Here are some pics of my home made diapers and supplies, and my refurbished velcro. I'd be happy to send more instructions to anyone wanting to try to make their own diapers!

DIAPERS






WIPES



LINERS



New Velcro, sewn over old velcro!



No comments:

Post a Comment